Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Secret Sauce

Alright, so I have a spreadsheet that is filled with my first pass at ability/action/power costs.  In the same spreadsheet I'm building out the card ideas for each role and then computing their cost per card based on cost list.  Then, I have some fancy auto summing of card values based on the choice and number of certain cards I select for any given deck so when I choose x number of cards I have a total cost of the deck ready for comparison with other decks to see if they sort of line up.  Which ONLY works if my numbers aren't garbage :)  BUT I do now have a framework I can use to tweak card and ability costs as I develop the mechanics.

Given that I'm looking at defining and 'balancing' the player decks exclusively, it would then follow that I will then balance the Boss/Dungeon/Big Bad deck against the hero decks point value.  I assume the cards will simply be orders of magnitude more effective since they will only reveal once per turn, but know knows at this point.

I'm going to keep my secret formula sauce, secret for the time being.  I feel like it's the key to my encryption scheme where the algorithm is public, but the key is what's private.  I feel fine publishing the rules and the cards, but how I determine the cards I think I'm going to keep concealed, at least from teh public intarwebz.

1 comment:

  1. Keeping the "behind the scenes maths" secret sounds good! Did you get to mess with things at all this weekend? I'm curious to see how the first pass played. I assume unbalanced as hell but ya never know.

    ReplyDelete